Saturday, January 15, 2011

Little House in the Big Woods

Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


"I read this out loud to my 5 year old. She enjoyed it, and at times couldn't believe how the characters lived. It read like a collection of short stories instead of one main story, which I didn't care for too much (I personally love a very defined plot in a book.) But it was perfect for my daughter. However, I absolutely loved the very last chapter. I definitely will be revisiting this book with her later when we actually study this time period."

That was my short review on Goodreads.  I just learned I could easily post my review here!  Pretty nifty.  Another thing I wanted to mention about this book is that a lot of my friends have told me they didn't get past chapter 1 in this book with their kids due to the "gruesome" descriptions of the father slaughtering and cleaning the animals that they ate.   I personally decided not to shelter my daughter from this.  I don't understand why we disconnect our kids from their "food."

We discussed how in the time this story took place, they had to eat what was available to them.  We talked about how they didn't have stores with vegetables year round like we do now.  And the reason I loved the very last chapter, "The Deer in the Wood," was because it showed that even though they had to eat animals to survive, there was still an appreciation for them.  In that chapter, the father (while hunting) didn't shoot a single animal because he was awestruck at their beauty and serenity in the woods.  I loved it.

Overall, Miss Dainty really enjoyed this book.  It helped that each chapter was it's own short story.  It was perfect for bedtime reading.  I can't wait to really study this time period of our country with her.

No comments: