Friday, November 19, 2010

Thirty Days of Thanksgiving: Day 19

Today, I am thankful for:

55.  books and that my children absolutely LOVE to read and be read to... oh, and LIBRARIES! 

It's funny, I think I have a lot in common with my friends who are also doing the Thirty Days of Thanksgiving challenge.  I've seen "books" listed on a few of their lists as well.  My mom works in a college library where I grew up.  She did all through out my childhood.  I would go often and pick out books to take home and read.  I was constantly devouring one book or another, and sometimes a handful at once.  It was how I enjoyed spending all of my free time, well, until I started dating Mr. Hubs, but even then, books were not pushed aside all together.  He always said it was one of the reasons he was attracted to me... 

Today, we went and ate dinner at the Thai place again (I told Mr. Hubs he just HAD to try it!) so of course, we stopped by the little book store since we were right there.  There was a book in particular that I had debated buying yesterday, and after not buying it, I regretted it.  So, I hoped it was still there.  Mr. Hubs wanted to take a look around, too.  Well, thankfully my book was still there, and needless to say, I ended up buying a few more... (okay, more than a few!)  But I found some really good ones. 

I've also had some great luck on paperbackswap.com!  I'm also lucky enough to live within walking distance of a great library! (Which is so wonderful after living in Sicily for 3 years, where I had to drive 40 minutes to go to the base library which was teeny, tiny!)  Speaking of libraries, we need to make a trip soon...

In the collage, there are pictures of my lucky finds, and of course my daughters reading.  Well, Baby D pretends.  It's so sweet when I catch her reading to herself, she'll be saying words she knows and sees in the pictures: puppy, bird, cat, hat, etc.  It's so adorable.  Miss Dainty's picture is of when she was reading her very first chapter book on her own this past summer.  Turns out I picked a bad one.  I bought it at a yard sale and had planned on previewing it, since I had no knowledge of the author or series (it's been a long time since I've read children's chapter books.)  I didn't get the chance to even look at it as Miss Dainty had excitedly run off with it while I was cooking dinner that day.  She came up to me a few minutes later and said, "Mommy, I don't like this book.  This girl is mean!"  I took the book and asked her what she meant, and after flipping through a few pages I realized that Junie B. Jones was not for my daughter.  (oops!)  But thankfully, my daughter had her own response and opinion to the character's actions and words, and I'm very proud of the way she responded.  In a way, I'm glad I accidentally gave her that book, because it let me see how much my daughter comprehends in her reading, and how capable she is at reaching her own conclusions, and forming her own opinions.  So wonderful!

Anyway, a list of my book finds follows the picture, if anyone is interested.  =)

From Paperbackswap.com
1. Meet Abraham Lincoln by Barbara Cary
2. A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson
3. Margaret Pumphrey's Pilgrim Stories revised and expanded by Elvajean Hall
4. Beginner's Guide to Silk Ribbon Embroidery by Ann Cox (I really want to try this soon!)
5. Easy Homeschooling Companion by Lorraine Curry
6. The Love Dare by Stephen and Alex Kendrick

From the local bookstore:
7. Great American Learning Vacations - Fodor (This one is out of date being a travel guide, but I think there's still a ton of great info to be had.)
8. Meet Thomas Jefferson by Marvin Barrett
9. Gigi: God's Little Princess by Sheila Walsh
10. Backyard Birds by Dr. Janann V. Jenner
11.  Favorite North American Indian Legends Unabridged, edited by Philip Smith
12. The Field Guide to Wildlife Habitats of the Eastern United States by Janine M. Benyus (So excited about this one! I love how it is illustrated like a nature journal!  And it is jam packed with information!)
13. The Apple Pie that Papa Baked by Lauren Thompson (This is actually the book I went back for.)
14. James Herriot's Treasury for Children (I actually already have a copy of this, that I paid full price for, but couldn't pass up a second copy.  I hope to give it to my daughters when they have their own kids. Is that crazy? LOL  It is such a wonderful book!  The stories and the illustrations are so great.  It's perfect, I love it.)
15. Linnea in Monet's Garden by Christina Bjork and Lena Anderson (This is a great living art book.  I'm so excited about it.  I was hoping there was a series, but I looked it up, and unfortunately there isn't.)
16. Barnyard Dance! by Sandra Boynton (I had to get a fun board book for Baby D. We already read this one tonight, and the girls had a blast dancing through the actions as I read them aloud.  Such a fun book!)

No comments: